1. RTN Proposals: Send UPDATED proposals for your teams that include your team NAME and WHO you actually interviewed. Email Laura with this information.
2. SUBMIT: Presentations, handouts, and notes from interviews are DUE: Wednesday (10/16) at 11:59 pm; please submit ONE presentation & ONE handout document in either Word or PDF format. You can submit individual notes from each interviewee. **See the RTN Checklist in Blackboard Learn to ensure you submit everything.**
2. ALL TEAMS BE PREPARE TO PRESENT ON THURSDAY (10/17) in class. All are expected to complete peer evaluations and ask questions in class.
Here is a message and update from Amy Simon from the Center for Leadership and Service
1. Location: Library Mall (rain site – is the Environmental Science Building)
a. 9-10 unloading cans
b. 10-12 building sculptures
c. 12-1- judging/announce winners
d. 1-2 tear down
2. You have a 6×8 area to build your sculpture – a tarp will be provided.
3. You may drop your cans off near the administration building and carts will be there to unload, but you must park elsewhere.
a. Drop off your cans beginning at 9:00 am on the library.
4. Building is from 10am-12pm
a. We realize some of you have students that are not available at the building time (10-12pm) – so if you need to you may come earlier.
b. We will be set up on the library mall at 9 am. If you need to, you can build from 9-11.
c. If your sculpture does not take the full 2 hours to build – come when you can.
5. Judging begins at 12pm
a. Immediately following the judging – winners will be announced by the Denton Community Food Center.
6. Please breakdown your sculpture at 1pm to begin loading them to take to the Food Center.
a. If any volunteers can stay to help us unload at the Food Center – we greatly appreciate the help! – it is a few miles from campus.
7. We have added additional trophies this year – here are the judging categories:
Canstruction sculptures are judged on the following
1. Size (50%)
a. Teams report the size of their sculpture/# of food items and the Center for Leadership & Service scores this component.
2. Creativity (50%)
a. Does the sculpture incorporate UNT Pride, include additional decorations, look realistic etc. – scored by judges.
The Top 3 sculptures (points for creativity and size) will receive the following:
1. Juror’s Favorite (Grand Prize Winner)
2. People’s Choice (Second Place Winner)
3. Honorable Mention (Third Place Winner
Additional awards are given strictly for the following:
• Best Meal prize will go to the UGST class that class utilizes canned goods in their structure to creatively include a full meal (vegetable, fruit, protein etc.)
• Best Use of Labels prize will go to the UGST class that strategically uses the original labels of the canned goods in their structure creatively.
• Structural Integrity prize will go to the UGST class that has the highest standing creative structure.
Thank you for making such a difference for the Denton Community – Last year, 4,400 pounds of food was donated through the UGST Canstruction!
Amy Simon, Director
Center for Leadership & Service
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle, #305007
Denton, Texas 76203-5017
The Center for Leadership & Service is located in the Stovall 160 (STUB 160)