Thanks to Valeria from UNT Student Activities (@UNTActivities) for dropping into our class to show us how to get involved on and around campus. We learned about what events are ahead for UNT Homecoming, how to find a club or organization on OrgSync, or where to find the Student Activities Office (Stoval Hall #117) to talk to someone about getting involved. Check them out! p.s. This is Step 2: Explore Engagement Opportunities for your FINAL PAPER for our class.
Remember how we talked about memory in our last #ugstSTORY class? If you forgot, and you were there perhaps you should review a few memory techniques to help you study for your next test or your final exams. There are different tips & tricks we will discuss further in today’s class to get you prepared as you continue to study at UNT:
MNEMONICS – INDEX/INTRODUCTION
9 Types of Mnemonics for Better Memory
Spacefem.com: Random Mnemonic Maker
How to Improve Your Memory: Tips and Exercises to Boost Brainpower
Develop Perfect Memory With the Memory Palace Technique
We will also talk about working on your own resume & building experiences while at UNT. This will help with both your resume and creating an “elevator pitch” for when you graduate. Here are couple of BAD and GOOD elevator pitch examples. Here are a few tips and tricks as you create YOUR elevator pitch (DUE: Thursday, October 31st at 11:59 pm) – remember this will be a VIDEO of yourself which will be posted to YouTube and EMBEDDED into your WordPress Blog #10 :
For your Elevator Pitch Assignment, please complete the following items:
- Draft a short introduction about you! Be sure to include your name, classification, major (if you have an idea about one), where you study, any past interests or current things you are involved in on/off campus, and at least ONE key skills that makes you stand out with an example of that skills in action. This should be a BRIEF 30-60 second introduction that you could give to someone if you happened to be on an elevator with them. BE CREATIVE!
- Record (or find a #ugstSTORY classmate to record) a video with your elevator pitch introduction. Consider what you’re wearing, the lighting, background, film/sound quality, and your appearance (habits, eye-contact, etc) on camera. This might require you to try more than one take.
- Once recorded – UPLOAD your Elevator Pitch video to YouTube. [If you do not have an account – guess what.. it’s FREE. You may also consider using this video account for FINAL Major/Career Research Paper Video Presentation (part 5) too. Hint. Hint]. A couple of examples from my last year class can be found HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.
- EMBED your video into your WordPress blog post before 11:59 pm CT on Thursday, October 31st. HOW TO: Upload a video to YouTube & Embed a YouTube Video to WordPress
- BONUS: What to create a future Elevator Pitch that you might give when you are in your Senior year at UNT or for your “Graduate Resume”? Please create, upload and post another blog post with your future self elevator pitch describing things you have been involved in on campus, work experience, talents and skills that you would bring to the table for a potential employer, graduate/professional school admissions, or recruiter in your career field of interest.
UPDATED Office Hours for Laura Pasquini – Wednesday (10/30) from 6-9 pm @ Big Mike’s Coffee Shop (on Frye Street)
**Why might you want to check in and meet with Laura?
- Deciding on a Major?
- Need to chat about W/WF for a class before the 11/6 deadline
- Interested in playing the number game with your grades in classes?
- Questions about career/major research – need to find another person to interview for your final paper?
- Help with your FINAL Major/Career Paper — all sections (pssst it’s due in a few weeks)
THINGS TO NOTE for #ugstSTORY
- Brand Yourself! DUE WP Post #10: What’s Your Elevator Pitch? Take a video capture of your best elevator pitch on a YouTube video & embed it into a blog post. Can include a value or skill and perhaps a club or organization you are involved it OR plan to connect to in the future at UNT – DUE Thursday (10/31) at 11:59 pm CDT; practice for your Final Assignment (Part 5) Video Presentation
- Resume: Part of your Final Major/Career Research Paper assignment => Part 1, Step 3: Create TWO (2) resumes – one current and one “graduation” resume. Check out the UNT Career Center Resume & Cover Letter Book [PDF] & University of Iowa resources for help building your resume + what we shared in class today!
- BONUS: Wear a Halloween costume to class on 10/31 and take a #selfie. Tweet this image with #ugstSTORY; Guest Speaker – Rachel Grimes from the Student Money Management Center
- #ugstSTORY goes back on TOUR to the Learning Center! Meet in Sage Hall 315 on 11/5
- Have you started your Final Major/Career Paper yet? You should! Start researching your major or reaching out to your next informational interview NOW!
- BONUS: What do you think about cheating in college? Based on our discussion, and the video examples posted on the last #ugstSTORY blog, share your thoughts in a 300 word or more. https://ugststory.wordpress.com/2013/10/24/week-9-academic-integrity-group-work-cheating/ Also feel free to check out the “TurnItIn – Testing Your Paper” link to run your assignments to check for plagiarism found in our course menu.
- WP Blog Post #11: What I learned during the Student Money Management Class. Today Rachel Grimes will be teaching a class about managing and planning with your money. You will have to write a minimum 200 word blog post to talk about what you learned in today’s class and other helpful resources you can find on campus at the Student Money Management Center – Due at 11:59 pm TONIGHT (10/31).